Meet your local guide at Kotzia Square, then head to the Mayor of Athens’s neo-classical building on Athina Street, one of the busiest in Athens. Starting at 09:00 when the city’s shops and markets are bustling with Athenians, ready for a day of business just as they have done for the past 2,000 years. You will experience the spirit again of the Greek life with the same commerce of food that existed thousands of years before.
Dive into the Athenian way of life as your guide takes you through the markets. Here you will find every Mediterranean fruit, vegetable, meat, cheese and fresh on offer. Filled with all these warm colors, tastes, and smells, the next stop is Monastiraki Square. The name of the square derives from the Greek word for monastery, in fact in the center of the square sits the Pantanassa monastery.
Not far away is the 18th century Tzistarakis mosque, now a ceramics museum. The square is also home to the Adrian library, an archaic temple constructed in the Corinthian-style. Explore the square’s flea market, mingle with merchants and see ancient monuments. Explore Ifaistou or Pandrossos Streets to discover shops selling all kind of specialties such as leather sandals, hand-made icons, Greek music instruments and antiquities.
The next stop is the ancient Agora, where merchants were trading in Greek and Roman times. Walk through the area to Thisson passing houses from the 17th and the 18th century along the way. Thission used to be a forgotten neighborhood of Athens but in the past 10 years it has been completely renovated, with many pedestrian streets, and restored houses. The adventure ends here where you are free to continue on your own personal exploration or the guide can give you advice on the best way to get back to your hotel.
Alternative Tour Options:
There are so many other things to see in this area. Keep in mind that your driver is at your disposal, so if you would like to adjust the proposed itinerary at all, just let him know!
- UP TO 6 PEOPLE: € 160
- UP TO 10 PEOPLE: € 180
- UP TO 12 PEOPLE: € 200
- Days of Operation: Every day (Please email us for availability)
- Admissions: Euro 12 per person (free under 18age) not included in the price.
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended. Sun glasses and sun screen are suggested.
- Photography is permitted throughout the tour.
- It’s always a great idea to bring a bottle of water and sunscreen with you because in the warmer months it becomes quite hot and sunny.
- A hat to protect your head and shade your face is also recommended when spending a significant amount of time in the sun.
- The area around the Ancient Agora and Monastiraki can become quite crowded, especially during the peak travel months, so be aware of your surroundings and keep your belongings close to you.
- Do not accept ‘gifts’ from street vendors approaching tourists. They may offer you roses, but if choose you accept, you will be expected to pay or give a tip for them.